Sunday, November 11, 2007

Got Peace?

It's Sunday and we just got home from church. We have to leave in a few hours to go to a party in New Jersey for a friend of the family. So I'm thinking that I would like to take a little nap before we go.

I am just about to nod off when the phone rings. Then, as if on cue my dog ,Sugar, barks because she sees a squirrel outside. So with great urgency, she jumps on me from the top of the couch where she had been looking out the window. She runs to the back of the house to see if the squirrel is in the backyard where she would just love to catch it and mangle it. And much to Sugar's delight, my son had just gone out and left the door open!! So she got to run outside and actually chase the squirrel (something she usually only imagines). Tim saw the whole thing transpire so he knew that he was the lucky one who would have to run after her (the dog-not the squirrel). While he was gone the gutter guy showed up--on a Sunday! And after the phone rang a few more times (Luke's friends call every 3 minutes unless you pick up the phone to tell them he's not there), I decided to give up the notion of a nap~~~~

Peace. An elusive state of being.

Sometimes I find it and then it's gone. It's like a gentle dove. Doves will fly away at the slightest noise or disturbance. Peace is like that--gone at the slightest provocation.

A few mornings ago, I decided to take a walk. I love this time of year with the leaves changing color and the crisp, cool air. I just wanted to take it all in so I set out to get some exercise while enjoying the season. About the exact same time, a man nearby decided this would be a good time to turn on his leaf blower (Who invented these? And what purpose do they really serve other than to move leaves around and annoy neighbors?) This also happened to be the time of morning when the garbage trucks started their job. And the dog across the street had to start barking and prompted several other dogs to do the same thing. And of course, a morning would not be complete without a few sirens going down the street or a car alarm going off!

Once again, peace eluded me.

But what if I had found the peace I sought this particular morning? How long would it have lasted?

One of my cousins just moved with her husband to a town in Oklahoma so they could be close to their son and his children. They had everything now. A nice house close to their family and life was good. Six months later, she died. How long did her peaceful existence last? Not long.

My conclusion: peace is not included in the gift of life! If you happen to find it, you won't keep it long. If one moment has it, the next one won't! If this war ends, another one will soon follow. If everything is going great, it won't last.

I sound like a pessimist but I am also speaking a truth that no one likes to hear. This world offers no permanent peace. No matter how hard we try to arrange life to our liking, it won't stay the way we want it.

"They will seek peace, but there will be none."

So it would seem that we must seek peace someplace other than here because obviously, we're not going to find it on this planet.
Is there any place that does have it?
Does anyone have the answer?
Do we have to die to find peace?

"Yes,... yes ....and.... no."

There is a place that has it and there is Someone Who knows the Answer and we don't have to wait until we die to find it!

Well, this is good news-- finally!

So where is this place that has lasting peace?
Right here, right now, on this earth!

I thought you said there is no peace on this earth?
There isn't-- if you don't know the Man. It's not the place that is important--it's the Person.

And WHO is this Person Who has the Answer?
Jesus, the Son of God. HE can give us peace in this troublesome world.

"These things I have spoken to you, that in ME you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer. I have overcome the world."
John 16:33

"Peace I leave with you, MY peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." John 14:27

Any thoughts or comments? Email Carol at: carolrtexas2@aol.com